Helping Smiles Stay Straight Across Greater Boston
The alarm goes off. You’re not quite ready to start your day, but you know you need to anyway. You stumble into the bathroom and get ready to brush your teeth. But then, like a ton of bricks, it hits you: I forgot to wear my retainer!!!!!”
At ARCH Orthodontics, we know our patients care about maintaining their perfect teeth post-braces, but sometimes you just simply forget to wear your retainer. If this has happened to you once or maybe twice — don’t panic. Missing one night with a retainer will less than likely cause your teeth to shift. However, you might need to give your ARCH orthodontist a call if you forget often so we can check for tooth movement.
You know us — we’re always here to help your smile! That’s why compiled a list of tips to help you remember your retainer:
- Note to self: Set a reminder on your phone. Put a note on your mirror or on your wallet.
- Recurring events: Some people aren’t required to wear their retainers regularly. If this is you, try using a recurring event like when you’re watching your favorite weekly TV show or laundry day.
- Help me, please: If you’re forgetful, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Have a spouse, friend, sibling, roommate, Mom, or Dad give you a friendly reminder.
- Put it away: It’s important to remember to place your retainer in its case when you take it out to sleep or eat. It helps reduce the risk of it getting thrown away.
- Location is everything: Try keeping your retainer in the same spot every day — on your bathroom counter, nightstand, or dresser. It helps create a visual reminder and lessens the odds of loss.
Having a retainer and remembering to wear it doesn’t have to be a headache. Just remember it’s there to help your teeth stay straight and keep your smile looking and feeling healthy. If you have questions about retainer care or need to purchase a new one, please don’t hesitate to contact your local ARCH Orthodontics office. We have nine locations across Greater Boston and Cape Cod who are always willing to help serve you better.