Has this happened to you?
Your drag your groggy head out of bed in the morning and stumble into the bathroom to brush your teeth. Then it hits you: “I forgot to wear my retainer!!!!!”
At ARCH Orthodontics, we know our patients care about maintaining their perfect teeth post-braces, but sometimes you just simply forget to wear your retainer. If this has happened to you once or maybe twice — don’t panic. Missing one night with a retainer will less than likely cause your teeth to shift. However, you might need to give your ARCH orthodontist a call if you forget often so we can check for tooth movement.
You know us — we’re always here to help your smile! That’s why compiled a list of tips to help you remember to your retainer:
- Note to self: Set a reminder on your phone. Put a note on your mirror or on your wallet.
- Recurring events: Some people aren’t required to wear their retainers regularly. If this is you, try using a recurring event like when you’re watching your favorite weekly TV show or laundry day.
- Help me, please: If you’re forgetful, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Have a spouse, friend, sibling, roommate, Mom, or Dad give you a friendly reminder.
- Put it away: It’s important to remember to place your retainer in its case when you take it out to sleep or eat. It helps reduce the risk of it getting thrown away.
- Location is everything: Try keeping your retainer in the same spot everyday — on your bathroom counter, nightstand, or dresser. It helps create a visual reminder and lessens the odds of loss.